“About The Process”
Most foreign nationals need a work permit to work in Canada.
There are different types of work permit inside Canada which you can apply depending on your qualifications and certain other conditions.
Eligibility conditions for getting a temporary work permit—
- You are currently in Canada and possess a valid work or study permit, or your parents or spouse have a work or study permit;
- You have graduated from a program at any—
- Canadian university;
- Publicly funded trade/technical school,
- Community college;
- CEGEP; or
- Other eligible school.
- You hold a temporary resident permit having a validity of six months or more;
- You have already applied or been included in an application for permanent residence from inside Canada(you shall have to pass some stages in the main application process to become eligible for a work permit);
- You have sought for refugee status in Canada and are awaiting for a decision from RPD(Refugee Protection Division) of Immigration and Refuge Board of Canada;
- You have been recognized by the RPD as a convention refugee or protected person;
- You have had your refugee claim turned down by the RPD, however you cannot be removed from Canada due to reasons beyond your control; or
- You are authorized to work in Canada without any work permit but you still require a work permit for working in a different job.
Different categories of work permit inside Canada—
- Open Work Permits
- Employer-specific work permits