ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT ADMISSIBILITY ISSUES? HAVE YOU BEEN TURNED AWAY UNEXPECTEDLY AT THE CANADIAN BORDER?
Many people wishing to enter or immigrate to Canada are surprised to learn that a prior criminal record can result in a Canadian Immigration Officer refusing their entry, or application, on the basis of criminal inadmissibility.
If you have been found to be criminally inadmissible to Canada, or think you may be inadmissible, it is important to know that you still have options. Contact us today for a free consultation.
OVERCOMING CRIMINAL INADMISSIBILITY
There are three main ways of overcoming criminal inadmissibility to Canada:
- REHABILITATION Individuals considered criminally inadmissible may be allowed to enter Canada if the government of Canada considers them criminally rehabilitated.
- TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMIT A TRP is a document issued to individuals who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada, allowing them to enter the country.
- LEGAL OPINION LETTER A legal opinion letter, written by an attorney, can help an individual gain entry to Canada.
Certain situations may result in an individual being inadmissible to Canada. However, there are ways to overcome inadmissibility.
- DRIVING OFFENCES INVOLVING ALCOHOL OR DRUGS
- RECKLESS DRIVING
- DRUG OFFENCES
- DUI CONVICTIONS
- SERIOUS CRIMINALITY Inadmissibility to Canada may affect a broad range of people. However, individuals in certain situations may be particularly affected from a personal and/or professional point of view. These include:
- PERFORMING ARTISTS
- AIRLINES AND THEIR STAFF
- PEOPLE WISHING TO GO ON A HUNTING OR FISHING TRIP TO CANADA
- PEOPLE TRAVELING TO AND FROM ALASKA
- PEOPLE ENGAGED IN CROSS-BORDER TRADE
- PEOPLE TRANSITING THROUGH CANADA
- PEOPLE WHO HAVE PERFORMED A CRIME IN CANADA OR HAVE BEEN CHARGED WITH A CRIME IN CANADA.
Immigration to Canada can be a long and sometimes complicated process. If you are experiencing one of the problems listed below, we recommend you contact us at your earliest convenience. We will discuss your immigration problem with you to properly assess how our law firm can help you.
In certain cases, a Canadian immigration application refusal can be challenged. Was your application refused? We may be able to challenge it.
Do you need an immigration attorney to take over the representation of your Canadian immigration application? Many people submit their applications without legal representation, but later decide that they do indeed need an immigration attorney to represent their case. We may be able to take over representation of your file.
A medical exam is required for the principal applicant and all of their dependents as part of the immigration process. Learn more about what it means to be medically inadmissible for immigration to Canada.